The Tangerine Swiss Guard, Liopropoma swalesi, is a visually striking fish with a maximum size reaching around 3 inches (7.6 cm) in length. It features a vibrant tangerine-orange body colouration that extends from the head to the tail. The dorsal fin is elongated and flows gracefully, adding to its overall elegance. Its slender body shape and prominent eyes contribute to its captivating appearance.
In its natural habitat, the Tangerine Swiss Guard can be found in the Caribbean Sea. It inhabits coral reefs and rocky areas, typically in depths ranging from 30 to 100 feet (9 to 30 meters). These reefs are rich in diverse coral formations and provide a variety of hiding spots, crevices, and caves for the fish to seek shelter and protection.
Keeping the Tangerine Swiss Guard:
The Tangerine Swiss Guard requires attentive care to ensure its health and well-being. It is considered moderately difficult to keep, requiring an experienced aquarist. Water parameters should be closely monitored, with a temperature range of 75-80°F (24-27°C), a pH level of 8.1-8.4, and a KH range of 8-12 dKH. Stable and high-quality water conditions are crucial for the Tangerine Swiss Guard’s overall health.
Special Requirements and Feeding:
The Tangerine Swiss Guard is carnivorous and should be fed a varied diet consisting of small meaty foods such as mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and high-quality frozen preparations. Providing a diverse diet helps ensure it receives the necessary nutrients for optimal health. It is important to feed this species small frequent meals throughout the day rather than a single large meal.
How Many Should I Keep?
The Tangerine Swiss Guard is typically kept individually or in pairs. Keeping more than one male in the same tank may result in territorial aggression. It is advisable to provide each fish with ample space and hiding spots to establish their territories and reduce potential conflicts.
The Tangerine Swiss Guard benefits from a well-lit aquarium that mimics natural lighting conditions found in its native habitat. It thrives under moderate to high lighting levels, which enhances the visibility of its vibrant orange coloration and promotes the growth of beneficial microalgae.
Suitable Tank Mates:
When considering tank mates for the Tangerine Swiss Guard, it is important to select species that are compatible in terms of size, temperament, and water requirements. Avoid housing it with aggressive or territorial fish that may pose a threat. Suitable tank mates include peaceful reef fish, small to medium-sized non-aggressive species, and other compatible basslets or dottybacks.
Breeding Liopropoma swalesi:
Breeding the Tangerine Swiss Guard, Liopropoma swalesi, in captivity can be challenging, and successful breeding attempts are relatively rare. These fish are not commonly bred in home aquariums, and most specimens available in the trade are wild-caught.
To increase the chances of breeding success, it is important to provide the fish with optimal conditions and a suitable environment. Here are some factors to consider:
- Water Parameters:
Maintaining stable and pristine water conditions is crucial. The temperature should be maintained within the range of 75-80°F (24-27°C), with a pH level of 8.1-8.4. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels should be kept at undetectable levels, and regular water changes are essential.
- Tank Setup:
Provide the Tangerine Swiss Guard with a well-established aquarium that mimics its natural habitat. The tank should have plenty of hiding spots such as caves, crevices, and rock formations where the fish can seek refuge.
Breeding is most successful when a compatible male and female are paired together. However, determining the sex of Tangerine Swiss Guard can be challenging, as they do not exhibit significant sexual dimorphism. It is often recommended to acquire a group of young specimens and allow a pair to form naturally over time.
- Courtship Behaviour:
The breeding process typically involves courtship displays and rituals by the male to attract the female. These displays may include fin flaring, circling, and colour intensification. The male may also create a nest or clean a specific spawning site in preparation for spawning.
Once the pair has formed, the male will lead the female to the chosen spawning site. Spawning usually occurs during the evening or early morning hours. The female releases eggs, and the male fertilizes them externally. After spawning, the male will guard and fan the eggs to ensure proper oxygenation.
- Egg and Larval Care:
The eggs are adhesive and will attach to the chosen substrate. The male continues to guard the eggs, removing any unfertilized or damaged ones. The eggs hatch within a few days, and the larvae enter a pelagic stage, drifting in the water column. Providing appropriate food for the newly hatched larvae is challenging, as they require tiny, live food such as rotifers and copepods.
- Specialized Breeding Facilities:
Due to the complexities involved in breeding the Tangerine Swiss Guard, successful breeding attempts are more commonly achieved in specialized facilities with dedicated systems and experienced breeders.
It is important to note that breeding marine fish in captivity can be a complex and demanding process. It requires a deep understanding of the species’ behaviour, specific environmental conditions, and specialized equipment. Therefore, breeding the Tangerine Swiss Guard may not be feasible for most hobbyists and is usually undertaken by experienced aquarists and commercial breeding facilities.
Sexual dimorphism in the Tangerine Swiss Guard is not well-documented. Distinguishing between males and females based on physical characteristics can be challenging, as both sexes exhibit similar colouration and body shape.
The Tangerine Swiss Guard, Liopropoma swalesi, is naturally distributed in the Caribbean Sea, specifically in regions such as the Bahamas, Florida, and the Caribbean islands. It is primarily collected from the wild, and captive-bred specimens of this species are rare.
The Tangerine Swiss Guard, Liopropoma swalesi, is a visually striking fish with a vibrant tangerine-orange colouration. With a maximum size of around 3 inches (7.6 cm), it adds a pop of colour to any aquarium. Found in the Caribbean Sea, it thrives in coral reefs and rocky areas. While its care level is moderately difficult, providing stable water parameters within the temperature range of 75-80°F (24-27°C) and pH range of 8.1-8.4 is essential. Feeding the Tangerine Swiss Guard a varied diet of small meaty foods ensures its nutritional needs are met. It is best kept individually or in pairs, and suitable tank mates include peaceful reef fish. Breeding this species in captivity is challenging, and most specimens available in the trade are wild-caught. Overall, the Tangerine Swiss Guard is a captivating addition to a marine aquarium, but it requires experienced care due to its delicate nature.
Dry Goods Delivery.
The store has provided information regarding their order dispatch and estimated delivery times. Here are the key details:
- Dispatch Timeframe: Orders placed before 2pm will be dispatched on the same day. Orders placed after 2pm will be dispatched on the next working day.
- Delivery Date and Time Guarantee: While the store aims to dispatch orders promptly, they cannot guarantee a specific delivery date and time. As the delivery process relies on couriers, there may be factors beyond their control that could affect the delivery timeframe.
- 1st Class Mail: For orders sent via 1st Class mail, the aim is to have them delivered on the next working day after dispatch.
- 2nd Class Mail: Orders sent via 2nd Class mail typically take approximately 2-3 working days for delivery after dispatch.
- APC Next Day Delivery: APC Next Day delivery is available for UK mainland postcodes. It is usually delivered on the next working day after dispatch. However, please note that items being delivered to more remote areas may require additional time for delivery.
It’s important to keep in mind that while the store strives to provide efficient delivery services, unforeseen circumstances or external factors could potentially impact delivery times. For further details or specific inquiries about delivery, customers should refer to the store’s terms and conditions or contact the store directly.
The store maintains specific policies regarding the delivery of livestock. Here are the key points:
- Licensed Livestock Courier: The store exclusively uses a licensed livestock courier for shipping fish and coral. This approach is chosen to ensure responsible and ethical transportation of the livestock.
- Livestock Shipping Fee: The livestock shipping fee charged to customers of £19.99 does not cover the true cost, and therefore, there is a minimum spend requirement of £30.00 before the option for livestock shipping becomes available.
- Pre-Arranged Delivery: The store never ships livestock without first arranging a suitable delivery day. Before dispatching the livestock, the store must confirm the agreed-upon delivery day with the customer.
- Saturday Delivery Confirmation: Customers who choose Saturday delivery must have their availability confirmed for the upcoming Saturday before the store sends out the livestock. This confirmation ensures that the livestock can be received promptly.
- Failure to wait for livestock: Not waiting for livestock, even if there is a reasonable delay, or cancelling an order after it has been dispatched will lead to you incurring charges for an emergency return to the base. Additionally, any losses of livestock will also be charged to you. Please be aware that the items you are ordering are living creatures – livestock. We kindly ask that you refrain from ordering livestock if you are unable to accommodate the possibility of a delayed delivery.
These terms and conditions are a fundamental aspect of our policy. Our primary goal is to dissuade individuals who could react negatively to a delayed delivery and subsequently request order cancellations. It is of utmost importance to underscore that your order pertains to living creatures, not mere inanimate objects. In the event of an occasional delay, it is crucial that you respond in a rational and responsible manner, taking into account the welfare of the livestock. We kindly request that you refrain from placing an order for livestock if you tend to react strongly to such situations. By proceeding with the order of livestock, you indicate your acceptance and agreement to abide by these specified terms and conditions.
- Signature Requirement: Livestock deliveries require a signature upon receipt and cannot be left in a safe location. This precaution ensures proper handling and the well-being of the livestock.
- Geographic Restrictions: The courier has strict geographic restrictions for livestock deliveries. Unfortunately, deliveries to Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man, Isles of Scilly, Channel Islands, and certain Scottish offshore postcodes may not be possible. Customers are encouraged to contact the store via email to confirm if livestock delivery is available in their area.
- Minimum Order Value and Order Cancellations: The store has a minimum order value of £30 for livestock shipping. Additionally, the store reserves the right to cancel orders that are deemed high-risk or involve a high number of single tropical freshwater fish species.
It is essential for customers to familiarize themselves with these policies before making a purchase. For more detailed information or specific inquiries, customers should consult the store’s terms and conditions or reach out to the store directly for clarification.
Livestock Geographical Exemptions.
The store has specific geographical exemptions for livestock deliveries. Here is a list of the areas and postcodes where livestock delivery is not available:
- Islands: Livestock cannot be delivered to the Shetlands, Channel Islands, and Isle of Man.
- Postcodes: Livestock delivery is not available to the following postcodes:
- AB30 to AB39, AB41 to AB45, AB51 to AB56
- DD8 to DD10
- BT all
- DG3 to DG9, DG12 to DG14
- KA18 to KA19, KA26, KA29 to KA30
- HS all
- IM all
- JE all
- ZE all
- KW15 to KW17
- FK17 to FK21
- GY all
- KA26, to KA28
- PA20 to PA38, PA41 to PA49, PA60 to PA61, PA76 to PA78
- TR21, to TR25
- PH3 to PH26, PH30 to PH44
- IV all
Customers residing in these areas should be aware that livestock delivery is not available to their location.
We can ship livestock to the Isle of Wight, this area is subject to a surcharge.
For further information or specific inquiries about livestock delivery to a particular area, customers are advised to contact the store directly for clarification.
According to the store’s policy, customers have the right to cancel an order within 14 working days of receiving the goods. To initiate the cancellation, the goods must be returned to the store in new and unused condition, adhering to their Returns Policy.
Important points regarding the return process are as follows:
- Return Condition: The goods must be returned in new and unused condition, as originally received. It is important to ensure that the goods are in the same condition as when they were sent out.
- Return Timeframe: The goods must be received by the store within 21 days of notifying them about the cancellation. During this time, customers are responsible for any loss or damage that may occur during the return shipping process.
- Refund Process: Once the store receives the goods in new and unused condition, they will initiate the refund process. The purchase price will be refunded to the customer.
- Return Condition Inspection: If the returned goods arrive in a condition that is less than what they were sent out in, the store reserves the right to return the goods to the customer, and no refund will be processed.
It is essential for customers to carefully review the store’s Returns Policy and follow the specified procedures to ensure a smooth and successful return and refund process. For more detailed information or specific inquiries, customers should consult the store’s terms and conditions or contact the store directly.
According to the store’s return policy, the following guidelines should be followed for returning goods:
- Use Returns Form: Customers need to use the store’s provided returns form to initiate the return process. This form helps the store acknowledge that the goods are being sent back.
- Return for Testing: If the goods are being returned for testing, the customer is responsible for covering the return shipping expenses.
- Refund of Postage Fees: The store will only refund postage fees if the order arrives damaged or becomes faulty within the first 4 weeks of purchase. Proof of posting is important, and customers should ensure the goods are well-packed and obtain proof of posting as the goods remain their responsibility until received by the store.
- Refund of Postage Costs for Replacement: If goods are being returned within 7 days of purchase under the Replacement Policy, the store can refund postage costs. However, the customer needs to agree on a delivery service with the store in advance, and only standard or tracked shipping fees will be refunded. The store cannot refund the cost of any special delivery service.
- Non-Refundable Postage: Postage costs for goods returned for any other reason than those mentioned above are non-refundable. The store reserves the right to deduct the original postage cost from any applicable refund.
- Mistaken Purchases: If a customer has made a mistake in their purchase, they need to return the goods to the store. The customer is responsible for the return shipping costs in such cases.
It is important for customers to carefully follow the store’s return procedures and terms and conditions. For further details or specific inquiries, customers should refer to the store’s website or contact the store directly.
If customers receive faulty goods, the following guidelines apply according to the store’s policy:
- Notification of Faulty Goods: Customers must notify the store within 7 working days if they receive faulty goods. This notification should be made as soon as possible.
- Replacement Parts: If possible, the store will dispatch replacement parts for the faulty goods.
- Return of Goods: If replacement parts are not possible, the store may request customers to return the faulty goods in accordance with their Returns Policy. The specific return procedures and conditions should be followed.
- Verification of Damage: Once the store receives the returned goods, they will verify the damage. If the damage is confirmed, the store will supply the required replacements.
- Return Postage Costs: If the goods returned to the store are found to be in good working order, the store is not able to refund the return postage costs. Additionally, the store reserves the right to deduct their original postage cost from any applicable refund.
- Consequential Loss or Damage: The store cannot take responsibility for any consequential loss or damage that arises directly or indirectly from the goods supplied.
Customers should carefully review and adhere to the store’s Returns Policy and procedures for returning faulty goods. For further clarification or specific inquiries, customers should consult the store’s terms and conditions or contact the store directly.
The store works in collaboration with manufacturers to ensure that their guarantees are honored, and they make their best efforts to resolve issues within the warranty period. The following guidelines apply to refunds and replacements:
- Postage Costs under Manufacturer’s Guarantee: Postage costs can only be refunded if the goods are returned to the store within 7 days of the original purchase, as per the manufacturer’s guarantee.
- Refund of Postage Costs for Faulty Goods: The store will refund postage costs for guarantee/warranty returns only if the product becomes faulty within the first 4 weeks of receipt.
- Replacements with Manufacturer Authorization: Replacements, whether parts or goods, can only be offered when authorized by the manufacturer. Customers should contact the store for further guidance in such cases.
- Prior Approval for Returns: Goods should not be returned to the store without prior approval. Customers need to contact the store and obtain approval before returning any items.
- Replacement of Glass or Ceramic Items: Glass or ceramic items can only be replaced if the store is notified within 48 hours of receiving the delivery.
- Replacement of Glass Bulbs/Tubes: Glass bulbs or tubes can only be replaced if they become faulty within 14 days.
Customers should note and adhere to these guidelines to ensure a smooth and efficient resolution of any issues with their purchased items. For specific inquiries or further information, customers are advised to refer to the store’s terms and conditions or contact the store directly.
According to the store’s policy, customers have the following responsibilities regarding breakages:
- Checking Goods on Arrival: It is the customer’s responsibility to thoroughly check the goods upon arrival for any damage. This should be done before signing for the parcel. If the parcel appears damaged, it is advised not to sign for it.
- Reporting Breakages: Any breakages or damages must be reported to the store within 48 hours of receiving the goods. It is important to promptly notify the store to initiate the resolution process.
By carefully inspecting the goods upon arrival and reporting any breakages within the specified timeframe, customers can ensure that appropriate actions are taken to address the issue. For specific instructions on reporting breakages or further information, customers should refer to the store’s terms and conditions or contact the store directly.